نحن قوم أعزنا الله بالإسلام ، فهما طلبنا العزة بغيره ، أذلنا الله

We are the people whom Allah honoured through Islam, so whenever we seek honour other than it, Allah will disgrace us.

The blog is under slow transition to http://specifichumidity.wordpress.com

Saturday, September 15, 2007

The ramadhan story

Ramadhan comes again, this time full of different tale and twist.

Day 1

1st ramadhan, I was in singapore. I ordered room service at 445am, in lieu of breakfast. Had some fruits, cereals, omelette, croissant, hot choc, toast, and.. well that's all I could remember. The hotel does not serve halal chicken or beef.

Later that evening, broke my fast at Changi airport. Burger King was the only visible option. Just after finishing the Triple Whopper (at last, I found something that looks like 1/2 pounder), large fries (fries is an insult to the chips' establishment), and cappucino, I tried to locate the prayer room. On the way there, I found swensen's, but it was too late already. Next time maybe.

So, first ramadhan came and left. The interesting bit was the following day.

Day 2

As usual, that friday was a working day. I went to work, and stayed rather late at the office. As it was already approching maghrib, I decided to go to masjid kampung paya. Went there, did my wudhu' and prayed tahiyyatul masjid. After that, I settled into on of those chairs provided by the mosque and started reading the quran.

Then came a pakcik (old man). The conversation went as follows:

PC: Datang dari mana? (where are you from)
ME: Saya duduk tanjung gemok ( I live in tanjung gemok)
PC: Kita kat mana sekarang ni? (where are we)
ME: Kampung Paya pakcik

At this point, I had almost assumed that this man must be rather senile, and simply lost his way around PD.

PC: Tengah baca kitab apa tu? (what book are you reading)
ME: Quran
PC: Kamu faham ke maksudnya? (do you understand the meaning)
ME: Faham la sikit-sikit (litlle bit)
PC: Haa, cuba bagitau apa maksudnya (haa, tell me the meaning)
ME: Ayat ni pakcik.. bla bla bla (this verse, bla bla bla)

Then, he turned rather aggresive

PC: Boleh ke baca quran macam ni, tak salah ke? (can we read quran like this)
ME: Eh, boleh pakcik, apa salahnya (of course)

Raising his voice

PC; Tak salah kamu kata? Kamu tau tak, ni rumah Allah, kamu ni dah biadab terhadap rumah Allah dan quran (Nothing wrong you say? This is house of Allah, and you have been ill mannered to Him and the quran)
ME:Pakcik, kalau ada salah saya, bagitau (Please tell me if I have committed any wrongdoing)
PC: Macam ni kamu kata boleh? Tak pakai songkok, pakai baju merah, duduk macam ni (you said ok? no headcover, wearing red shirt, and sitting like this)

Again, I got confused. I don't see anything wrong with those. The chair was provided by the mosque anyway.

PC: Mana tok guru kamu yang kata tak salah tu? Bawak dia lepas solat tarawih, saya boleh ajar. Tu, pintu tu luas, Boleh jalan la, aku tak nak tengok kau lagi. (where is your teacher who says ok? bring him after tarawih, and I can teach him. That door is widely open, go away, I don't want to see your face again)

At that point, I was so dissappointed being chase out of the mosque for reading quran inside it.

ME: apa pakcik buat kat saya ni sama macam apa yang orang arab jahiliyyah buat kat Nabi dan sahabat. Pakcik tau tak apa dosa pakcik halau saya dari masjid? (What you are doing to me is similar to what the arab jahiliyyah did to the Prophet and the companions. Do you know how grave your sin is?)

At this point, i read a verse from al-baqarah

2:114 And who is more unjust than he who forbids that in places for the worship of Allah, Allah's name should be celebrated?-whose zeal is (in fact) to ruin them? It was not fitting that such should themselves enter them except in fear. For them there is nothing but disgrace in this world, and in the world to come, an exceeding torment.

ME: Azabun azim pakcik (exceeding torment)

And I walked away, going to PD main mosque. The bilal there, was quite surprised to hear my story. But that was it

Day 3

I went to KL to see my brother at Sains Alam Shah. Mum told me that he was ill, so I cancelled my plan to go home to JB. Mum told me to pay him a visit.

I got there, and the hostel was weirdly quiet. I asked few remaining pupils, and they informed me that people went home for the weekends. And worst, my brother went to his friend's house the previous day.

My mum simply forgot to inform me that my brother was away.

So, what the hell am I doing in KL? Got so frustrated. Ended up doing my iktikaf in a Surau in keramat until almost maghrib.

The tarawih in Keramat was great. Out of 4 ramadhan nights, to me this one is best.

More to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home