نحن قوم أعزنا الله بالإسلام ، فهما طلبنا العزة بغيره ، أذلنا الله

We are the people whom Allah honoured through Islam, so whenever we seek honour other than it, Allah will disgrace us.

The blog is under slow transition to http://specifichumidity.wordpress.com

Sunday, June 11, 2006

OUR BEST FRIEND

There is a creature, which is well known to be men's best friend.

When i first came to Bristol, i stayed in Manor hall for a year. I left the hall in my third year, only to come a year later.

Living in the same floor as i was in my junior year, I got to meet our lady cleaner, whom is in her mid-forties.

She is a very nice woman, and in my first year, she lent us (me and azmir) bedcloth, duvet, its cover, pillows, everything (you name it). Well, it was really out of her way, since we should be paying a 'rent' of £10 a year for all those stuff. Anyway, she did not charge us, and we were very happy. I gave her a christmas day present, and she was really overjoyed.

Later, at the beginning of my third year, I met her again. She told me that she now has a Jack Russell, which she named after me. For those who are not familiar with this name, Jack Russell is not Kurt Russell's cousin. Neither it is Russell Crowe's distant relative. It is a DOG. Can you imagine, she called her dog 'Zac'?



Should i get mad, or should i...? anyway, i simply smiled at her, feeling that she named the dog because she wants to remember me and my other nice malaysian friends. Well, she likes malaysians simple because we don't make a mess in the kitchen that she has to clean everyday.

The whole scenario reminded me of a thing which occured almost 20 years ago. As a little kid who knew nothing much of the world, I learn my ABC and language from television and books. I remember my mum taught me all the names of dogs, german shepherd etc.. and cats, and fishs, and birds and many others using flashcards.

And we learnt that dogs are cute and friendly creatures, whose mere existence has been very beneficial to mankind. Living in a malay village, i hardly remember encountering any dog when i was small.

One day, the whole family visited mak ngah's house in JB. That was one of my first memory of seeing a living dog. It was white a fluffy. And i really thought that it was cute.

I was the oldest son in my family, and was quite close to my dad. and i said to my dad 'You are like the dog'.. i mean, in a positive way. Out of the sudden, the whole house turned against me, as if i had done something unforgivably wrong. I did not understand why. That was the moment that i learnt, although dog is well known as men's best friends, it is very offensive to call someone 'dog' in our malay culture.

That's to say that there are differences in communal code of ethics. While i may think it differently, others have surely got the wrong idea. I surely could not have defended myself. I was real tiny at that time. Series like lassie, or on any other smart dogs had deceived me. So did the flashcards, and other external influence.The same story has been mentioned over and over again, by my parents, sisters whosoever, everytime i did hurt my parents. It is as if to say that i have never learnt and have never had enough of hurting them.

I did not understand and in fact refused to say sorry at that time. To my parents whom may be taking their time out to read this entry, I would like to apologise if i have ever offended you over the past 23 years. However, i would like both of you to read this entry, so that you would understand the reason i uttered those words.

wassalam

3 Comments:

Blogger Zacharias said...

anjing jack russell yang cute. aku rasa nak bela anjing aa pas nih

12:59 PM  
Blogger ihsan_huhu said...

mungkin buleh jadik abu kalbah instead of abu hurairah...
xtau lak psl cite anjing jiran makngah tuh... skang br tau...hohohoo

6:15 PM  
Blogger Edward Ott said...

if she is english feel honored this would be right next to naming a child after you.

Salam

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home