نحن قوم أعزنا الله بالإسلام ، فهما طلبنا العزة بغيره ، أذلنا الله

We are the people whom Allah honoured through Islam, so whenever we seek honour other than it, Allah will disgrace us.

The blog is under slow transition to http://specifichumidity.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

SEYMOUR vs. SHELDON

The exam weeks have been dragging on and on.. and so far this is already my third week. I can feel that fatigue is taking its toll and i just become less and lesser enthusiastic when it comes to doing my revision.

Well, it was rather surprising to see how many novels i have read over the exam season. I would like to compose a short comparison of writing style of two great writers, sheldon and seymour.

I enjoy reading seymour. Well, i think i do. Although he took so much time to get to climax, it is worth the wait. He used many adjectives and can be very descriptive in his novels. Sometimes the first few chapters made me sleepy. However, once it gets to full throttle, it is definitely a page-turner.

Sheldon, on the other hand is a 'high pacer'. He keeps the story moving by adding in new character, insight, twist etc. I really fancy reading his books, because you don't spend much time imagining how people look like etc. You actually have things moving on. And at the end of the day, there's always this element of surprise.

I was thinking. Had sheldon been writing like seymour, his 300-pages novels would have become 600.

Overall, I'd prefer Sheldon than Seymour. Although, I would prefer Sheldon to be more descriptive (well, many times, he did not bother describing things at all). Many times he got his facts wrong too. Well, he is a fiction writer anyway. I keep telling myself not to dwell on reality.

... McCourt is better...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home